Dear Daughter,

My daughter is about to turn 9.

I had this idea to start a "letter book" with her. A simple little notebook where we could write letters to each other, like a diary but we both make the entries.

I was going to give this book to her for her birthday. But a few days ago we had a big blow up and I felt the Lord gently urge me to give her this gift a little early.

I had planned to buy a fancy, cute notebook for her...but instead I found a notebook for school that had not been used yet, found a cover, gathered some markers, and began to write.

I wrote her a letter to build her up. She was full of guilt and regret for her behavior. She is not a talker, and she will just hold these feelings in. I told her that I am honored to be her mother, through the good and the not so good. I told her that I was so happy God choose ME to take care of HER! I told her she is beautiful, inside and out. I encouraged her to look to Jesus at all times.

She was out with her dad while I did this, so when I was done I placed it on her bed, next to her pajamas. She came home and I simply asked her to begin to get ready for bed.

A few moments later she ran into my arms and quietly hugged me tight. We sat in that moment for a few minutes...just holding each other. It was beautiful.

She wrote me back. She shared with me how she has a hard time talking about her feelings, but has a much easier time writing to me about how she is feeling.

We have been writing back and forth for a few days now and we have had breakthrough in our relationship. She finally has an outlet where she feels safe and comfortable. And I have the opportunity to help her through our writings. 

She's not a talker, but she's a writer.

Comments

Popular Posts